The sky is the limit when it comes to painting your firearm. If you have an imagination, creating elaborate patterns, applying contrasting colors or even just one solid color, could be so much fun. With the best spray paint for guns, you will not only restore your old firearm, but you will also make sure that your weapon can easily resist moisture, oil, corrosion, grease, and more.
It is essential to find a paint that is durable and can withstand harsh conditions and heat. For this purpose, we have created this buying guide where you can find out everything you need to know about painting your gun. It is full of information, tips, and most importantly spray paint for gun reviews– the top 6 products on the market nowadays.
To find out the most critical gun paint characteristic you should look for, just keep reading!
|View On Amazon|
Krylon K04290007 Camouflage
|View On Amazon|
Rust-Oleum 1916-830 1916830
|View On Amazon|
|View On Amazon|
|View On Amazon|
|View On Amazon|
Best Spray Paint for Guns – ( Editor’s Choice )
If you want the best results for your firearm just read our reviews and pick the most suitable spray paint for your needs. These are the top six choices you could possibly make, so they are not arranged in any specific order. Let’s get started!
1. Dupli-Color DE1635
Dupli Color DE1635 is created with a temperature resistant and durable formula. This formula contains ceramic resins for floss retention and ultimate heat dissipation. Because of the ceramic adhesives, this unit can withstand up to 500 degrees. These particular ceramic resins guarantee for maximum protection from automotive fluids or exposure to excessive heat.
Once the surface is sprayed with this product, you will get a high gloss finish. Due to its dependable formula, you don’t need to worry that the paint will flake, crack, peel or chip during the time. It will take around 30 minutes to dry and an hour until you can touch it. Before using the paint, it is recommended to first prime the surface you want to work on. This way the color will last for long.
This paint is suitable for different surfaces such as wood, metal, plastic, and aluminum.
- Works on different surfaces
- Highly durable and temperature resistant
- Dries quickly
- If you want a more consistent color, you will need to layer it up
2. Krylon K04290007 Camouflage
The Krylon K04290007 Camouflage can be used on a variety of surfaces such as PVC, plastic, ceramic glass, metal and wicker, wood. There is no call for priming or sanding. This paint is non-reflective and has 5 more colors of which you can choose from. The Krylon paint is suitable for hunting equipment, rifles and but it is not ideal for clothing, hair or skin!
Once you have painted your hunting equipment, it will take about 15 minutes before you can touch the paint. And then after an hour, the overlay will be completely dried. In the package, you will find instructions. When starting to paint you better do it in a well-ventilated area, because the paint can be toxic. A vital step you need to take while painting your equipment is following the color order. First, you start with Khaki, Olive, Brown and then Black. Then all you have to do is to repeat this step.
This paint is non-reflective for a maximum camouflage effect.
- Can be used on a variety of elements
- It is very flat and non-reflective
- Dries to touch in about 15 minutes
- It is hard to layer up because it doesn’t dry that quick
- Might feel sticky after a day or two
3. Rust-Oleum 1916-830 1916830
The Rust-Oleum 1916-830 1916830 Camouflage Spray, Black is a product manufactured in the USA. If you want to achieve a maximum blend with nature, just mix the colors, and you will blend in with almost any terrain. You can use the product on a wide variety of surfaces. It is excellent for hunting equipment, vehicles, and boats. It is suitable for boats because it is water-resistant. If you want to spray your motorcycle’s frame or your gun, you will need to use an etching primer first and then use the paint.
This product offers you an incredibly flat finish and also it is non-reflective for greater hiding. You can apply it to masonry, plaster, metal and wooden surface. For long-lasting protection, it is suggested to use this paint on top of a primer.
Thoroughly dries for 24 hours and then you can recoat one more time. It is vital to know that for maximum paint durability on plastic you need to wait 5 to 7 days.
● Works well on wood, plastic, metal
● In the end, you will get a flat and smooth finish on your equipment
● Suitable for vehicles, boats and hunting equipment
● The color is not like in the picture. It is a pale and a quite lighter shade of green
● You will need to prime first the surface. Otherwise, the end result will not be as you wanted
4. VHT ESP130007
The VHT ESP130007 has excellent durability, chemical, and heat resistance. An essential specification of this product is its unique formula. It is a mixture of urethane and ceramic resins. Due to this solid formula, the VHT SP130 can easily withstand rust, corrosion, and chemical.
Another advantage is that this product can hold against a temperature of 550 degrees. It features a wide variety of colors. Once you have painted over your rifle or for example car engine, the unit will need about 30 minutes until it is dried to touch and a full 24 hours to dry completely.
This paint can be used on plastic, metal and even rubber material. On the plastic and metal, the color will stay for very long. There is no need to bake the product. However, when used on a rubber it is recommended to cook the product at 200 degrees for one hour. Otherwise, the paint will bubble and peel.
● It provides you with maximum durability and chemical and heat resistance.
● Due to its formula, it can withstand corrosion, chemicals, and rust.
● If you don’t shake the can first, the color will seem faint and pale
● The color might not look exactly the same as on the picture
5. Rust-Oleum 7578838
The Rust-Oleum 7578838 is suitable for use on wood, concrete, masonry, ferrous and non-ferrous metal. This unit is designed with a high-quality oil-based formula. The paint will remain consistent over the time protecting your rifle or other projects from corrosion, rust, and chemicals.
With one can you can cover up to 14 square feet. Once applied the paint will dry to touch for about 15 minutes. Then you can recoat after an hour if you want a more solid color for your project. A significant advantage of this product is that it features a high output tip. Because of this tip, you can spray the paint anywhere you would want to.t
This paint is formulated for maximum protection and resistance. It can be used on wood, concrete, metal, and masonry. If you’re going to paint previously painted surfaces you need to sand them first. You will need to put at least two coats for the desired color.
● Dries to touch for about 15 minutes
● Features 18 colors
● Durable, high-quality oil-based formula
● One can cover up to 14 square meters
● Easy to control and very line weight
● The color will need recoating every now and then
● The caps might get clogged if you don’t clean them regularly
6. Seymour EN-42
This Seymour EN-42 Hi-Tech Spray Paint is created for maximum endurance, and it has heat resistance up to 300-Degree F. It is also gas and chemical resistant. This paint will take 15 minutes to dry and a full 24 hours until it is scorched and ready to use. For more long-lasting and extensive coverage, you will need at least two layers of paint.
A good piece of advice will be to use a primer first and then paint. Using primer will assure that your paint will stay longer and will not crack under severe weather conditions such as heat. And with primer, your paint color will be more consistent not pale.
This paint will cover well, but if you want a more consistent color, you might need a second layer. But note that at the end it might not be as glossy as you would want to.
● Very durable and resistant to high temperatures
● Dries quickly
● It is chemical and gas resistant
● Restores original color to rifles, engines and other OEM equipment
● If you want a more glossy finish, this paint will not do the job
Benefits of Using Spray Paint for Guns
There is nothing else that will restore your weapon better than spray paint. If you want to bring back the shine of your gun and at the same time have long-lasting protection, this is the perfect choice for you. It does not matter if you are a beginner or a professional, spray painting is easy and yet super effective.
There are many spray paints suitable for different tasks that our team has highlighted. You may find a spray paint that is perfect for your weapon but at the same time can be used on boats, hunting equipment, vehicles, etc.
Another advantage is the variety of colors you could choose from. You wonder how to paint your gun black, well get yourself a black spray paint. Do you want a camouflaged firearm?! We got you, just choose the colors you’d like.
Solvent elements and cleaning chemicals are damaging to the paint. The greatest thing about spray paint for guns is the fact that it includes protection from all those things and you won’t have to re-paint your firearm every week.
If you cure the paint properly, it can easily resist corrosion, oil, moisture and more.
- Easy usage
Using a brush to paint your gun could get irritating, and you definitely need to have at least one hour to get the job done correctly. However, by using the right spray paint, you could save yourself so much time. Point and spray – it is as easy as that.
You also won’t have to wait hours for the paint to dry, as for some of these products, it will take about twenty minutes. Isn’t that great? Think about how much time you are going to save!
For those of you who are on a strict budget, spray paint for guns is a perfect solution. This product is not at all expensive and at the same time has so much to offer.
Drawbacks of Using Spray Paint for Guns
We didn’t lie when we said that spray paint is really easy to use. However, the preparation of the workplace before the spraying itself can get a bit annoying. As the sprayers can create small clouds, consisting of tiny particles of the paint, it is essential to be very careful with your surroundings. These particles can easily remain on the nearby things if you are not careful.
We would recommend that you cover your furniture if you paint your guns inside. Or, if you want to be one hundred percent sure that you will keep everything clean, just go outside.
- Curing and Drying time
Yes, we know that we said the curing and drying time of the paint would not take long, and that is indeed true…in most cases. Some spray paints may need more time to cure and dry than others. That’s why reading the manufacturer’s instructions is rule number one. Follow the steps written there and remember not to rush things if you want perfect results.
Factors You Should Consider When Choosing a Spray Paint for Guns.
- The resistance of the paint
It is essential to know how to clean your gun correctly. You have to do it regularly if you want your arm to be with you for as long as possible. Still, solvent bore cleaners, and other chemicals could easily damage your paint. For this reason, our team recommends that you always look for a spray paint that includes resistance to these formulas and elements.
Heat is another thing that could be a danger to your gun, as it could also damage the paint. So, to avoid these kinds of problems, look for a spray paint that offers resistance to heat, chemicals, and other harsh conditions.
The capability of spray paint to be suitable for different surfaces is a significant advantage. That’s why you should never settle for anything less. Always look for a spray paint that works on different kinds of surfaces, such as metal, wood, and plastic.
This is the greatest thing about paint spraying- there are just so many things you could do and use. We have a battery-powered paint sprayer, followed by the best spray gun for painting cars and at the same time, you could use the simple spray paint that is also super effective.
Most of the time, using a paint spray means that you won’t have to worry about smudges and runs in the firearm. This is due to the excellent application methods spray paint offers. If you follow the instructions you have, your gun will definitely have that new fresh look you wanted. However, our team would recommend that you always read the user’s reviews a spray paint has. This way you could see for yourself if the product really offers that smooth finish everybody tells you about.
- Cure time
The curing time of the paint depends on its formula. There are spray paints that need to reach a state that is very hard so that they could cure correctly. That means that it could take around three days for your weapon to look and perform flawlessly.
It would seem like a long time to you as you may need your gun the day after you paint it, so always check the spray paint characteristic and consider the curing time. We would recommend not to rush things because if you cure the paint the right way, it will resist chemicals, corrosion, grease, oil, moisture, and salinity. And on top of that, your weapon will look as if it just came out from the gun store.
Recommendations, especially from professional painters, are not always a guarantee that the product is incredible. However, it is still better, when the product you look at, has many recommendations. It is logical to conclude that this means its performance is more than satisfying.
When it comes to spray paint for guns, you and your wallet will be happy. You can find a high-quality product that will cost you around $10.00. That is also the average price.
How to Paint a Gun?
There are many techniques to spray paint like a pro Using a sprayer is much more comfortable than using a brush, and that is a fact! You could renovate your furnishing by using the best paint sprayer for furniture or you could re-paint your car.
If you have decided to paint your gun via spray paint and you want to know how to color your revolver, just continue reading to find out the steps you should follow.
- If you have decided to spray your gun indoors, then cover everything around you that can be damaged. When spraying, tiny clouds of paint could reach your walls, furniture, clothes, etc. That’s why you need to prepare your work-room carefully.
- The second step is to degrease parts of your gun. Preparing the surface of your weapon is essential, and the best way to do that is with sandpaper. This way you would rough it a little bit. If you like, you could also use a Scotch-Brite pad. Doing so you will have a better adhesion of the finishing.
- Sandblasting the metal parts of the gun is also an option. There are many reasons to consider sandblasting. This way you will prepare the surface for coating by removing old coverings. You will also get an even and flat look, and your weapon would look as good as new. If there are areas that you do not want to coat, mask them. Masking tape is an excellent choice for the parts you don’t wish to sandblast, and modeling clay is what you could use to plug holes.
Keep in mind that some dimensions are critical and should not be coated.
- Keep the sandblaster moving. This way you will have a smooth sheen to the finish and your gun will look perfect. When you are finished, remove the tape and clay. You could decrease your weapon again if needed. Before you start coating, make sure that the metal is clean and bare.
- Take the spray paint and hold it 6 to 8 inches away from your weapon. You will apply two coats. Paint each part of the gun until all of the areas are evenly coated. You have to let it dry for about ten to twenty minutes, depending on the spray paint. Once you are done with that, you can start with the second coat.
- Breathe! You are almost finished. Now, once the paint has dried, remove the tape from the parts you didn’t want to spray, and therefore you covered. You may have to wait for half an hour to 3 hours, again depending on the type of spray paint you have used.
- If it is required, bake the metal parts at 350 degrees F (or according to the instructions) for around thirty minutes. You could use an oven. Our team would recommend that you also use a thermometer. This way you would be able to monitor and regulate the temperature.
We hope that you now know how to paint a pistol frame like a professional. You see that it is not at all hard, you just need to follow these steps and the instructions written on your spray paint.
Best Spray Paint for Guns Comparison Chart
|Product||Price||Size||Dries to touch||Can be used||Specification|
|Dupli-Color DE1635||$$||12 oz||30 minutes||Wood, metal, plastic, and aluminum||Ceramic resin Formula|
|Krylon K04290007 Camouflage||$$$||11 oz||15 minutes||PVC, plastic, ceramic glass, metal and wicker, wood||Non-reflective and has 5 more colors|
|Rust-Oleum 1916-830 1916830||$||12 oz||24 hours||Hunting equipment, vehicles, and boats||Non-reflective and water resistant formula|
|VHT ESP130007||$$$$||11 oz||30 minutes||Plastic, metal and rubber material||Mixture of urethane and ceramic resin formula|
|Rust-Oleum 7578838||$||15 oz||15 minutes||Wood, concrete, masonry, ferrous and non-ferrous metal||High-quality oil-based formula|
|Seymour EN-42||$$$||12 oz||15 minutes||Hunting equipment, vehicles, and boats||Heat resistance up to 300-Degree F and has gas and chemical resistant|
As this is the end of our buying guide, you now realize how important it is to keep your firearm in top shape. Having the best spray paint for guns will help you do just that. We will be pleased if you find our article and our spray paint for gun reviews useful.
If that’s true and you enjoyed our buying guide, don’t forget to share it with other people as well. Knowledge is power, and your friends and family may also find this piece interesting and helpful. Getting feedback from our readers is also important to us, so if you have anything you want to share, leave a comment or pop us an email.
Finding the most suitable product is crucial, so we have many other articles devoted to that. Find some free time, and go check them out! Thanks for reading, and as always- stay put!